Monday, May 16, 2011
Unit 8 Optimal Well-being
As I reflect on this course and the different exercises that were described in the Intergal Health book, I found the subtle mind and meeting Asclepius practices to be somewhat helpful. Although I feel like I benefited from all of the practices in this course, the guided portion of the audio files always seem to catch me off guard and then I find myself struggling to refocus. The most beneficial practice that I have taken from this course was simply focusing on my breathing. I have found that if I can focus on my breathing and slowly clear the fog in my brain I really don't need the guidance of an audiofile. Six months ago, this was not the case. Because I didn't consistantly practice meditation, I thought that "guided" was the only way to go. Now I know that is simply not the case. Yesterday as I lay with my youngest son during his nap I put my earplugs in and started focusing on my breathing. (It sound crazy but foam earplugs are very helpful. They keep unwanted noise out all the while you can hear only yourself breathing.) Throughout this course there have been 2 instances when I have been able to reach a point in my meditation where it almost feels like I'm outside of my own body; yesterday was one of those times. It is so hard for me to explain the exact feeling. I was in my body... but I wasn't. I was aware... but secluded in my own mind. It was a true experience! The first time it happened I thought I was dreaming.The second time I let my mind take over and enjoyed the ride. Usually when I try to nap on Sunday afternoon I find that I often feel worse than when I laid down. However, yesterday I felt FABULOUS. Know that I know that I am mentally capble of not just relaxing, but truly meditating I plan to spend each day trying to get back to that place of mindful peace. It is rewarding to know that we all have healing capabilities that are deep within each of us if we just take the time to dig a little deeper every day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree that sometimes it is enough to just be aware of our breathing in order to relax. Most of us don't even breathe properly on a regular basis. I have also found that I am able to reach a state of extreme relaxation if I listen to a music cd that also has ocean waves incorporated into the music.
ReplyDelete