Monday, April 18, 2011

Unit 4 Loving Kindness practice

I consider myself a very forgiving person, but after this week I learned that I'm not as good as I thought I was. I found participating in the exercise a little difficult because of the long pauses in between segments, but fully understood the reason for it. Just as we condition our body through strength training, cardiovascular exercises, and proper diet and nutrition, we should also consider conditioning our mind. The "mental workout" that the loving kindness audio file offered can be considered a tool for a stronger more controlled mind. Practicing control over our thoughts is essential to controlling the rest of our life as well.

After years of feeling that I had finally reached a peaceful place in my life, this exercise gave me a rude awakening. I realized that I still hold a lot of anger. By the end of the exercise I felt like my heart had opened just enough for me to actually want to work toward healing a bridge that has been broken for a long time.

I would definitely recommend this exercise to others, but I would encourage them to practice it many times as our hearts are often times more guarded than we think.

To love and to be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.
                                                              ~David Viscott

2 comments:

  1. I had a challenge sitting through this exercise (as I do most of the recordings. I would rather listen to cello music than someone talk to me-my shortcoming to work on. I have found that when I am sinking into the lower energies-anger, annoyance, etc. that if I send gratitude and blessings to the person I have been offended by that I am able to get back into the flow of the higher energies. My own little mental training exercise. I like it because it works so quickly and I can do it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the wonder of doing those type of mind exercises. Every time you do it something new comes to the person, I know because I have felt that way myself. We are evolving beings that required maintenance constantly, just like a car that requires maintenance for it to function perfectly so do we. My best wishes on your journery to peace and harmony.

    ReplyDelete